Quality Jollity Logo
  BIO PROPERTIES ANIMATION MUFFHUGGER TV    CONTACT

Friday, June 12, 2009

Some Marvel Deadpool Pages



Click the images to enlarge.
While I'm waiting for Bob Morales to deliver the Captain America script he's writing for me, Marvel editor Axel Alonso assigned me a Deadpool story to illustrate. Charlie Huston wrote the script, and it's one of the weirdest cool stories I've had the pleasure of working on. A special Marvel No-Prize will be awarded any True Believer who can identify the big green Monster. The pirate hat was in the script. As a matter of fact, everything in the illustrations was in the script, including the bidet.

That Tigra design I spent so much time on a few days back ended up being only an inch tall in the finished art, and also naked (it was in the script!). Maybe I'll do a Tigra story in the future so I can use the design. I like the way she turned out. There's also a naked She-hulk and Shanna on the same page, although if Shanna's naked, I'm not sure how anyone will know she's Shanna. But it was in the script.

It's fun to be doing so much Marvel work lately. They were really impressed by the Hawkman job I did for DC recently, and Axel asked if I could do some work for them in the same style. I used a similar photo-realist approach on my recent Obama bio for Harper-Collins, which has been well-received by the folks over there, so I think I'll stick with this style for a while as long as the job offers keep pouring in.

Judging from the fan mail I've been getting, readers like the new style, too! Thanks!

6 comments:

Tobey said...

The big green monster is none other than Fin Fang Foom!

Kyle Baker said...

Wow! That was fast! You win a No-Prize, Frantic One!

Kevie said...

Wow, this style is fantastic! I'm not surprised the publishers are going wild for it.

On an unrelated topic, I was just looking at the Bakers page and I think you are now responsible for the single greatest cat vs. mouse sequence in the history of cartooning.

Mathieu Doublet said...

The art looks great, as always. Will it be an regular monthly Deadpool issue or a one-shot apart from the series ?

Kyle Baker said...

It's a 13-page story for an upcoming issue.

Torsten Adair said...

I believe Joe Q hisself mentioned your Deadpool artwork would be in issue #600. (Go read Cup of Joe over on CBR for more details.) If it's anything like Deadpool #11, it'll be great! (gonna buy it anyway, 'cause it's Kyle Freakin' Baker...)