Quality Jollity Logo

Friday, August 15, 2008

Ralph Bakshi: Terrific Advice For Cartoonists

This is a great clip from a guy who's been a huge inspiration forever. I had hoped to finally meet up with him at San Diego Con, but our schedules conflicted. I didn't know what he was up to now, and I had wanted to ask him why he didn't just produce his own digital film instead of dealing with a studio. I find this clip fascinating because he's describing exactly my experience these past few years: I was at Warners and Disney, listening to everyone complain how salaries were plummeting, and how the jobs were all being outsourced. I dropped out, invested my own money, starved for a couple years, and now I have better contracts with bigger clients. That's just like Bakshi says. Follow his advice. There will always be a demand for product. If you're talented enough to work for Disney or Marvel, you don't need Disney or Marvel. I actually missed Bakshi's speech because I was in another room giving almost the exact same speech. Coincidentally, we both got the biggest laugh when we mentioned how important a supportive spouse is.


Anonymous said...

Nine year old Lillian just listened to this: "That's Daddy's friend alright." -Liz

FerdinandKreozot said...

Hi there.
I've accidentally come across this place, but boy am I happy I did.
I have been admirer of your work for many years now, and I just want to let you know that I truly enjoy each drawing you do.
One day, I want to be as good as you are.
Cheers to your skill,

Kind regards,


Elgin Subwaysurfer Bolling said...

I am freakin standing on my keyboard applauding! what the heck is wrong with ME!!! thanks for the kick in the pants Ramph! Im DOING this!!! www.subwaysurfer.blogspot.com Elgin